When: November 18-21, 2019
Time: 8:30am-5:00 pm
Location: Sunshine Safety Council
661 Beville Rd Suite 206, South Daytona, FL 32119-1967
The Outreach Training Program is a voluntary program. Its purpose is to promote workplace safety and health and to make workers more knowledgeable about workplace hazards and their rights. Outreach training does not fulfill the training requirements found in OSHA standards. Employers are responsible for providing additional training for their workers on specific hazards of their job as noted in many OSHA standards.
Designed For Workers
The OSHA Outreach Training Program provides training on the recognition, avoidance, abatement, and prevention of workplace hazards. Outreach classes also provide overview information regarding OSHA, including workers’ rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint.
- Promotes safety culture through peer training
- Training is intended to be participatory, using hands-on activities
- Trainers are able to tailor the training topics based on specific needs of their audience
- Outreach training content includes hazard recognition and avoidance, workers’ rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint; it emphasizes the value of safety and health to workers, including young workers
- Outreach training is available in languages other than English (Spanish, Polish, etc.)
10-hour and 30-hour Programs
The 10-hour training program is primarily intended for entry level workers. The 30-hour training program is intended to provide workers with some safety responsibility a greater depth and variety of training. All outreach training is intended to cover an overview of the hazards a worker may encounter on a job site. Training emphasizes hazard identification, avoidance, control and prevention, not OSHA standards.
Sheldon Primus is a Certified Occupational Safety Specialist with a Master of Public Administration (MPA) with a concentration in Environmental Policy. He has been in the environmental and occupational safety field since 1994. Additionally, he is a trainer for the Certificate for Occupational Safety Managers (COSM) and Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS) programs of the Alliance Safety Council-Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He is the author of “7 Steps to Starting A Profitable Safety Consulting Business”.
Sheldon is an authorized OSHA General Industry and Construction trainer for the 10 and 30-hour Outreach program. He was an adjunct instructor at Florida State College at Jacksonville OSHA Training Institute Education Center (OTIEC) for teaching all of the OSHA numbered General Industry and Construction courses.
Mr. Primus is a guest columnist for the online publications of Treatment Plant Operator (TPO) and WaterOnline. Additionally, he conducts OSHA compliance webinars for:
Online Compliance Panel
Sheldon is a construction and general industry Subject Matter Expert (SME) course developer and course reviewer for:
Mr. Primus served as part of the Water Environmental Federation (WEF) Water Sector Safety Committee and the US Department of Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) taskforce on All Hazards Communication training for the Water and Wastewater Sector. Sheldon was also the President of the South Florida Chapter of the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) for the 2017-2018 term.
Sheldon has spoken on safety and health topics for a variety of organizations including, but not limited to:
- American Society of Safety Professionals Safety 2018
- American Society of Safety Professionals Leadership 2016
- VPPPA Annual Convention 2017
- Louisiana Governors Safety Conference 2015, 2016, 2017
- Florida Water Resource Conference 2015, 2016
- Florida Pest Management Association Conference 2015
- Safety Council of the Palm Beaches
- Sunshine Safety Council
Companies and utilities that have received Sheldon’s training or consulting services are:
- US EPA, Water and Wastewater Facilities All Hazard Boot Camp
- 3E Consultants, Inc.
- Town of Jupiter, Florida
- City of Stuart, Florida Wastewater and Water Plant
- South Central Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Seacoast Utility Authority Water and Wastewater Plant
- Tropicana-Fort Pierce
- Teledyne Oil & Gas
- Pall Corporations/Fluid Dynamics
- City of Palm Coast
- Broward County Water and Wastewater Services
- Brevard County
- International Ultraviolet Association
- Florida Pest Management Association
- Florida Water & Wastewater Pollution Control Association
- And many more
What people say about Sheldon’s training and services?
Thomas Vaughn, Director of Operations for Loxahatchee Environmental Control District endorses Sheldon’s training by saying “Sheldon is very a detailed and knowledgeable compliance and safety training instructor. You won’t go wrong with him doing your training.”
Douglas Coughlin, Mechanical Designer/Solidsworks Administrator at Halkey Roberts endorses Sheldon by saying “Sheldon was very instrumental in resolving any issues we had within our system. Highly recommended, (he is a) very professional individual.”
Sylvester Steele Jr., Security Assistant at Department of Navy, NUWC AUTEC says “Sheldon is a practical intellect and innovator within the wastewater industry. Coming into the industry with no prior knowledge, Sheldon has been instrumental in sharing his knowledge and teaching me the intricacies of wastewater operations. This has in turn increased my ability within the safety arena to incorporate OSHA standards with wastewater operations. With his guidance as Plant Superintendent, he has and will continue to be an asset in assisting me with formulating measures to increase the safety of all District assets, including it most important one, its people. Sheldon is a team player and an even greater teacher in all aspects of wastewater plant operations.”
Rebeca Andrade, City of Palm Coast notes “Sheldon, you were a great instructor and you made this class very interesting and fun. (I) would definitely attend another class that you will be instructing”.
Tracey Stump, Pall Corporation/Fluid Dynamics says “Great class, very informative, I learned a great deal to take back to my employer to be sure we are in compliance with OSHA standards.
Darrell Stephens, Teledyne Oil & Gas adds, “Very impressed by class. There was so much information obtained. Sheldon was very informative. I look forward to many more classes”.